- Cecila Makiwane Hospital (CMH) learning site for E N A training
- Partnership with Life Health care for placement of Critical Care and Theatre Nursing Science students for clinical exposure (Post Basic students)
- Sub Campuses writing South African Nursing Council (SANC) examinations in East London
- Sub Campuses allocating students in Theatre/Casualty in East London, Frere Hospital and CMH
40 Lennox Road
Private Bag X9023
Mrs. F. Tom (Campus Head)
Tel: 043 742 0684
Fax: 043 743 4265
CEL: 083 378 0444
Accommodation and Transport
Nurse’s Residences (accommodation): Nerina house at Frere hospital, East London – For senior students 3rd and 4th years.
CMH Nurse’s Residence: Near Cecilia Makhiwane hospital in Mdantsane – for 1st and 2nd year four year diploma students, post basic students and for the students of the enrolment as a nursing auxiliary course and sub Campus students when allocated in East London.
Transport: Students transport themselves to the various clinical areas around East London and Mdantsane. Campus transport is organized for students going for excursions outside East London e.g. Fort Beaufort, Queenstown, Grahamstown.
• Various musical groups like the campus choir and small musical groups form part of student activities.
• Monthly meetings: SRC and students.
• There are also some academic activities performed by the students like: Community projects by 3rd and 4th year students.
• Community projects by sub-campus students
• Community based education by 1st year students.
• First aid course for 1st year students
• Sports afternoon and inter campus sports day
Student Support and Medical Services
- Academic and personal support of students is done through their module HODs and educators.
- Students are referred to the nearby hospitals like Cecilia Makhiwane and Frere hospital for medical services. Those that have medical aids are free to attend other health services
- HIV support group.
- Counseling support by lecturers to the students with social problems.
- Referral to e.g. SANCA if problem warrants it
Jobs and Careers
- On completion of their training the four year diploma students are absorbed in the various services of the Eastern cape Department of Health as community service nurse. After Community Service (one year) they are employed as professional nurses.
- The Enrolled Nurse (E N) and Enrolled Nursing Assistant (E N A) candidates are employed if posts are available and they can apply to any health care institution including the private sector
The Local SRC structure
Mr. Kavi S
Mr. Jalisile S
Mr. Hontshana K
Ms. Plaatjies A
Mr. Xanda A
Mr. Mbulana A
Ms. Mqadi N
Mr. Mshiywa L
Mr. Ntloko M
Mr. Nqentsu A
Ms. Mgadle A
Mr. Mshotwana L
Public relations officer
Campus liaison officer
Education and transportation